Next Up: Why these five bands are the next great ones in rock and roll

Neha Seenarine

Photo from Loud Wire

Mike Singer, Music Manager

A lot of people have said, “rock is dead.” Heck, even Gene Simmons of Kiss has quoted that rock is dead.

Even though some of the rockers are up there in age, that doesn’t mean that the entire genre of rock is dead. I assure you that the genre is more than alive, all you have to do is dig a little and find them and here are the five bands that are leading the charge in rock and roll music.

Dirty Honey:

This band, in my opinion, is one of rocks most popular kept secrets. While they have opened for some of the biggest bands like Guns N’ Roses and The Black Crowes, they still are playing shows in clubs and haven’t graduated to the bigger states… yet.

Formed in 2010 in Los Angeles California, they first debuted their first single, “Fire Away,” in 2018 and the rest is history for the band. They have a great style of if Aerosmith met Led Zeppelin and it’s no secret that they worship some of the bands from the rock “Golden Age.” Just go listen to their covers of Aerosmith’s “Last Child,” and Prince’s ‘Let’s Go Crazy” just to know what I’m talking about.

By 2019 they released their self-titled EP with some staples like “When I’m Gone,” which was followed up by a full-length self-titled LP in 2021 with songs like “California Dreamin’” and “Another Last Time.”

Dirty Honey had a double-headlining tour with Mammoth WVH last year before running across North America with Dorothy and headlining in Europe.

Mammoth WVH:

Son of guitar god Eddie Van Halen, Wolfgang Van Halen jumped onto the scene with his debut record on June 11th, 2021 and it received great reviews from critics and fans as well. What was most impressive about this record was that Wolfgang played every single instrument on that record.

Their debut record was so good and you can read it here.

Just like Dirty Honey, Mammoth WVH has opened for big names in the rock world like Guns N’ Roses, and is currently opening Alter Bridge on their Pawns & Kings tour. Hey, if you’re instead in reading about their concert, click here. Mammoth is bound to play bigger venues as headliners and could easily do that since they have a giant, loyal following.

They have their sophomore record, “Mammoth II,” which is slated to be released on Aug. 4 of this year. They already released the first single, “Another Celebration at the End of the World,” and it’s such an amazing song with so much potential to be a great record.

The sky is the limit for Mammoth and with Wolfgang, at the wheel steering the ship they are destined for greatness.

Greta Van Fleet:

You simply can’t talk about new bands without talking about this Michigan band.

They were formed in 2012 and debuted their first record, “From the Fires,” five years later and the band has taken off from there.

The band has two more records under their belt, 2018’s “Anthem of the Peaceful Army,” and 2021’s “The Battle at Garden’s Gate.”

They started in the opening slot for larger acts and have slowly been able to pack bigger venues like Mohegan Sun Arena and have gotten so big that fans have started to camp outside arenas so they can get close to the second coming of Led Zeppelin as reported by one outlet in Carolina.

If you’ve ever watched any sporting event,  you’ve probably heard their song “When the Curtain Falls,” and it’s such a great song that gets anyone hyped and ready to go.

Greta Van Fleet has everything that rock fans would want, they have slower songs, they have great rocking songs, and any fan looking for a new band to listen to would love this band

Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown:

This southern hard rock band was formed back in 2009 and by 2013, their debut record, “Wild Child,” started the ride of sleazy slide guitars and in-your-face rock and roll.

Singer and guitarist, Tyler Bryant by age 15 was playing at the legendary Eric Clapton’s festival, Crossroads, which should tell you everything you need to know about this band.

This band is the one that I most recently stumbled upon while diving into the new-wave rock scene and I’m so glad that I did.

Some of my favorite songs of theirs include “On to the Next,” “Heartland,” and “Loaded Dice & Buried Money,” off 2015s “The Wayside-EP.”

They’re a really cool band that has opened for Jeff Beck, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Guns N’ Roses, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. You just aren’t some random bar band if you’ve opened for some off rocks giants.

They have a really cool vibe about them which I love, they’re different. They’re not strictly hard rock and they’re not strictly blues-style southern rock either.

The only way I can put it is if The Black Crowes were more hard rock and if Guns N’ Roses were a little more southern, the love child of both bands if you will.

They are such a tight band that has an awesome groove about them and can only go up in terms of their music and popularity, I highly recommend catching them on tour.

The Struts: 

Finally, the only foreign band on this list.

Hailing from Derby, England, this band jumped onto the scene with their debut record, 2014’s “Everybody Wants.”

They’re influenced by classic rock and glam rock groups like Def Leppard, Queen, and The Rolling Stones.

With only three records to their name, they get better and better with each record. I purchased their debut record on vinyl. 

Back in February, they released a brand new EP of acoustic songs titled “Unplugged at EastWest” and I love that The Struts choose to release new music as a “live” in the studio EP, it’s just very clever.

The Struts over the years have gotten a lot of support and have even opened up for The Foo Fighters which has helped boost their support from the rock world.

What I love about The Sturts is that they are unique and they do honestly remind me of Queen. It might be because their costume designer also designed some of the clothes worn by the legendary British band.

The Struts could very much be wearing the crown of rock and roll if they continue to produce great rock and roll.

If you haven’t listened to any of these bands before I HIGHLY suggest you do. You’re ignoring an entire new wave of classic rock and roll that will breathe life into rock and roll again.